5.23.2007

The Cross Centered Life

In The Cross Centered Life, C.J. Mahaney asks one simple question: what are you centered on? According to Mahaney (and the Apostle Paul for that matter), the cross of Christ Jesus must be at the center of our life and faith. Mahaney writes,
If there's anything in life that we should be passionate about, it's the gospel. And I don't mean passionate only about sharing it with others. I mean passionate in thinking about it, dwelling on it, rejoicing in it, allowing it to color the way we look at the world. Only one thing can be of first importance to each of us. And only the gospel ought to be.
I found this book to be wonderful for a number of reasons. First, it is an easy read. You could probably read the book in a hour, but I recommend reading it at a lower pace in order to really think through each chapter. Personally, I read one chapter a day. Second, the book is simple. It doesn't focus on formulas or complicated themes. Rather, Mahaney zeros in on the main thing--the gospel. "I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you...For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sings" (1 Corinthians 15:1,3). Third, the book is highly practical. I found the last chapter to be extremely helpful. In the chapter, Mahaney discusses how the gospel changes the way that we relate to all subjects. He writes,
Name the area of the Christian life you want to learn about or that you want to grow in. The Old Testament? The end times? Do you want to grow in holiness or the practice of prayer? To become a better husband, wife, or parent? None of these can be rightly understood apart from God's grace through Jesus' death. They, and indeed all topics, should be studied through the lens of the gospel.
I couldn't agree more! So, go ahead and buy this book, and refocus your life on the main thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard you talk about this book before...looks like I should probably pick it up! And I just found a $3 copy on half.com.

Eric M. Ashley said...

Wow. That's a great price. Granted, I got my copy for free, but $3 is a still good. I hope you enjoy reading it.