3.01.2007

The Supremacy of God in Preaching

Over the years, I have been blessed, encouraged, and challenged by the preaching and writing of John Piper. He is a man who passionately wants to see God glorified. So, it was with great expectation that I began reading The Supremacy of God in Preaching. And I was not disappointed. This book is not about preaching techniques or how to use good illustrations. Instead, as J.I. Packer comments, this is a "book that digs deep into the theology; stategy; and spirituality of pulpit ministry."

In the introduction, Piper writes:
The greatness and glory of God are relevant. It does not matter if surveys turn up a list of perceived needs that does not include the supreme greatness of the sovereign God of grace. That is the deepest need. Our people are starving for God....So I am persuaded that the vision of a great God is the linchpin in the life of the church, both in pastoral care and missionary outreach.
If you are involved in preaching and teaching God's Word, you should read this book. I highly recommend it.

No comments: