5.28.2006

Summer Snacks: A Memory

When I was in high school, I used to cut my great Aunt's grass for her during the summer. (She is legally blind, so she couldn't do it herself). Usually, she would bring me some type of drink and snack while I was outside. I could never be sure what she was going to bring me. Sometimes she would give me something healthy like water and fruit. Other times she would serve me something good and tasty like a Pepsi and potato chips. Yet, on a number of occasions she served me the worst snack possible: a diet, caffeine-free soda with peanut butter and raisin crackers. I know that many people like diet soda....and there may be a few people who like peanut butter and raisin crackers, but that is certainly not the type of snack that I want when I am hot and sweaty. Don't get me wrong, I was always thankful for her kindness, but I could never bring myself to tell her that the soda and crackers made me want to vomit. Instead, I ate a few bites of the peanut butter/raisin crackers and managed to drink a few (small) sips of that no-name-diet-caffeine-free-soda. Then, I used the rest of it to feed the birds and water the grass.

No comments: