12.09.2005

Unoriginal Thoughts About Church Gatherings

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about the Church; specifically, I've been pondering over the question: what should our Christian gatherings really "look" like? I am honestly trying to take a fresh look at the NT, and I hope that the conclusions I reach are unoriginal. Meaning, I hope that I can get past my own preconceived notions and can really grasp what the Scriptures teach us about Christian gatherings? So, here are a few of my initial thoughts and/or questions:

*Why do most churches only celebrate the Lord's Supper four times a year, especially considering 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." This seems like something we should do more frequently. Why not celebrate the Lord's Supper every week when when we gather?

*Should we really call our gatherings "worship services," especially when considering these points: First, worship is not something that should be restricted to a few hours in the week. We should be worshiping when we gather together each and everyday by offering our bodies as living sacrifices (Romans 12:1). Are we presenting a false dichotomy by referring to our gatherings as "worship services."
Second, the primary purpose of our gatherings seems to be for the edification of one another. Consider Hebrews 10:24, 25: "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (NIV).

*The Body is not one member, but many. If this is true (and it is), why don't we allow more oportunities and flexability within our gatherings so that the whole body could use their spiritual gifts, as the Lord leads?


Of course, these just a few of my thoughts. If you have any insights or thoughts that you would like to add, I would appreciate your comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really think those are good questions. The 2nd paragraph really caught my attention. I would greatly love it if our church did the Lord's supper every Sunday, and I don't know why we don't.